If you are looking for a great waterside experience near to Manila then Masasa Beach is an ‘easy to reach’ weekend destination that is a great place to unwind from the rigorous of city living. The beach is located at Tingloy, Batangas which is only around a three to four hours of travel time from Manila, including the boat ride going to the island itself if you are coming from Cubao. Aside from the pristine beach there, it is also a strain on your budget and is one of the reasons that this place has already become a favorite with fellow backpackers.
WATCH OUR VIDEO
How to get there?
- From Cubao, ride a bus going to Batangas Grand Terminal.
- Upon arrival at Batangas Grand Terminal, ride a jeepney going to Mabini. ( Anilao port will be the last stop for the jeepney)
- At Anilao port, wait for public passenger boats to arrive. Usual time of the first trip is at 10:00 AM. However, boats depart as early as 7 AM as long as the boats are filled with enough passengers. The boat ride takes around 45minutes.
- At Tingloy port, ride a tricycle going to Masasa Beach. The tricycle will drop you off at the nearest point going to the beach. Thus, you will need to walk for at least 15-20 minutes to arrive at Masasa Beach shoreline
Hiking (Magasawang Bato)
What to expect?
- There are not enough shady trees to shelter visitors from the scorching heat of the sun. This is a public beach and could be a lot better kept.
Where to stay?
Bring your own tent. Otherwise, you can either rent a tent there for 150 pesos good for your whole stay or rent a space at Nanay Rosie’s Kubo that is good for sharing for 200pesos per pax. Additionally, on the food front, if you don’t have any or are simply too lazy to cook, you can ask Nanay Rosie to knock you up some grub, for a fee of course. Her place is located at the rightmost part of the beach. Contact No. 09196864368.
Things to Bring:
- Drinking water at least 4liters
- Trash bags
- Sleeping bag/Tent (Optional)
- Snorkeling gears (Optional)
- Cookware/Kitchen Utensils (Optional)
- Extra clothes
- Extra money
- Personal Medicines/First Aid Kit
- When you arrive at Anilao Port, you can buy the things that you might need to take with you to the island. You can have breakfast at the port and buy any takeout food for your lunch when you are on the island.
- Freshen up for free! There is a public washing area on the island (actually it is just a well!) However, if you are too shy to take a bath in an open area, you can opt for a private bathroom for 25pesos.
- Respect other campers especially late at night. Avoid shouting and talking too loud, not everyone wants to share in your life!
- Save the planet – be a responsible human and help the local community and our beautiful planet by disposing of all your rubbish and waste correctly. This will mean taking your rubbish away with you and NOT leaving it just dropped on the ground!
- You can keep expenses lower if you are in a bigger group (economy of scale).
- If you have more time you can hike (you must pay for a guide) the famous (and strenuous) Magasawang Bato, which is gigantic rock formation of that, once conquered, offers a bird’s eye view of the island. If you have any money left over, you can also go island hopping within the Maricaban Islands perhaps including a visit to Sombrero Island.
- Tingloy to Anilao Boat Schedule: 6:00AM, 7:00AM, 8:00AM and 9:00AM (last trip). If you missed the last trip, you can charter a boat going back to Anilao port for Php. 2500.
4:00 AM: ETD – Cubao (Jam Liner)
7:00 AM: ETA – Batangas City Grand Terminal; ETD – Batangas City Grand Terminal
8:00 AM: ETA – Anilao Port; Buy goods from the wet market.
8:30 AM: ETD – Anilao Port
9:00 AM: ETA – Tingloy; Free time
10:30 AM: Trekking to Masasa Beach
11:30 AM: Preparation (Tent pitching, dinner preparation)
12:00 Noon: Lunch
12:30 PM: Freetime
7:00 PM: Dinner
9:00 PM: Socials/Beach Bumming
10:00 PM: Lights off (LOL :p)
7:00 AM: Lights on; Pack-up
8:00 AM: Trekking to Masasa
8:20 AM: ETD – Masasa
8:30 AM: ETA – Tingloy; Free time
9:00 AM: ETD – Tingloy
10:00 AM: ETA – Anilao Port; ETD – Anilao Port
11 AM: ETA – Batangas City Grand Terminal; ETD – Batangas City Grand Terminal
1:00 PM: ETA – Cubao
Summary of Expenses:
|Cubao-Batangas Grand Terminal||165|
|Batangas Grand Terminal- Cubao||152|
|Jeep Terminal to Port RT (37/way)||74|
|Anilao Port-Tingloy RT (65/way)||130|
|** there are boats that go directly to Masasa beach oceanfront for 80pesos but there is no definite schedule for these boats.|
|Tricycle (60 per way good for 4)||30|
A big bunch of thanks to Mark (@gelorabago) who worked with me on this article and really gotta tell you guys who live in Manila, get your bucket and spade and go visit this place!